Solidaritas.net, Papua – Within a month, started from April 30 to June 1, 2015, there were 479 activists arrested by security forces in Papua. Based on official reports from The National Committee for West Papua (KNPB) issued on June 1, with the details below:
- On April 30, there was an arrestment of 12 people in Manokwari, West Papua.
- On May 1, 205 people arrested in Manokwari, West Papua, 15 people arrested in Merauke, 30 people arrested in Jayapura, and on the same day 2 people arrested in Kaimana, West Papua. The total of arrestments were 264.
- On May 20, security forces arrested 75 people in Manokwari and 3 people in Biak, also 6 people arrested in Sentani.
- On May 21, 17 people arrested in Biak.
- On May 21, security forces arrested 27 people, 1 person arrested in Manado.
- On May 28, Police forces arrested 52 people in Jayapura, 6 people arrested in Nabire, 25 people arrested in Wamena, and 2 people arrested in Yahukimo.
- On June 1, 1 person arrested.
As reported from Tabloidjubi.com, from the total number arrestments of 479 people, the police has been imprisoned and sentenced 4 people in Manokwari and 3 people from Biak as in charge with Article No. 160 of Criminal Code on Provocation.
Since May 1, 2015 The National Committee for West Papua (KNPB) has intensely been proclaiming and creating actions that organized jointly with the people of Papua. Activists and sympathizers of Papuan often get intimidations, arrestments, and an ambuscade from the security forces of Papua.
For example, on May 21, 2015 an action done by KNPB in Timika was ambushed by security forces. It strove Indonesia for opening democracy space and access for foreign journalists to Papua and also a full support from Papuan people for The United Liberation Movement for West Papua (ULMWP) to become a member of Melanesian Spearhead Group (MSG).
According to Max Lane, an Indonesianist that bestowed part of his life upon studying Indonesia, there are two paths to confront the issues of Papuan people. First, democracy had been broken since the beginning of self-determination – which was the character of the New Order. It was forced to be repeated from repression and oppression after the peacetime (about 10 years), where all the premises, including opinions about independency and integrity were permitted to run. It means, ALL political prisoners have to be released; independence to speak up and to be in an organization are absolutely secured, thus the 10 years of struggling can be occurred tranquilly. The repressive weapons which repressive of the power and the movement will not be necessary.
Second, the fate of future and nationality: Will Papuan people meet a better future as a state-nation or as a part of state that have a role in developing Indonesia/Nusantara with performing a refreshment and reorganizer to the cultural politic inherited by the New Order which still rule the power, openly and vulgarly covered by many imageries.
Watch the video of KNPB Timika’s expression and demeanor, on May 21, 2015 and the series of violation performed by security forces of Papua:
Source: Solidaritas.net in Bahasa